Undergraduate Engineering Exchanges

Dartmouth’s Thayer School of Engineering offers a foreign study program at the Helmut Schmidt University (University of the Federal Armed Forces) in Hamburg. To learn more, contact Benoit R. Roisin at the Thayer School.

Study at the University of the Federal Armed Forces in Hamburg

You can choose from among three programs at the University of the Federal Armed Forces in Hamburg.

  • Students with relatively good German can take courses in material science, finite elements in mechanics, manufacturing, biotechnology, and technology management. As with other transfer credits, you must get prior approval from the relevant departments. It is also possible to work as an intern in the laboratory of one of the professors teaching those courses.
  • Even if you don't speak German, you may be able to work as a student assistant in one of the aforementioned areas, for three to six months. If you work on an independent project, you could possibly arrange course credit for ENGS 87.
  • Students in the Bachelor of Engineering or Master of Engineering Management programs can arrange ENGS190/290 or ENGM 390 projects that involve international cooperation between faculty from Dartmouth and Hamburg.

Read a feature about the program from Dartmouth Engineer magazine.

Summer internships with RISE

The German Academic Exchange Service's Research Internships in Science and Engineering program gives students in the fields of biology, chemistry, engineering, geology and physics the chance to spend a summer working on important research projects. All participants receive a stipend, and housing assistance.